This Code of Conduct is to provide guidance to all GameStorm convention members. It is to help ensure that the behavior of one individual does not adversely disturb the rest of the members. It applies to all pre-con, at-con, and post-con activities that are related to GameStorm. All members are encouraged to read this Code and ask questions about anything that they do not understand.
GameStorm is prepared to deal with any violations of the code as legally, rapidly, and efficiently as possible. We hope that all members will help to make GameStorm an enjoyable experience for all, by respecting the rights of all attendees while in attendance.
GameStorm reserves the right to revoke membership and eject any individual at any time from GameStorm. No refunds will be provided.
Failure to adhere to the code of conduct may result in:
- Mediation by the Con Chair and Convention Operations talking to all parties involved in an incident
- Verbal warnings
- Turning the individual in to hotel / hotel security
- Revocation of membership and ejection from GameStorm
- Contacting local law enforcement
OSFCI Code of Conduct
OSFCI does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind, including but not limited to physical assault, battery, deliberate intimidation, stalking, inappropriate language or unwelcome physical contact. This policy applies to any attendee’s interactions with fellow con-goers, program participants, hotel employees, and guests of the hotel, including panel discussions.
Be respectful of and courteous towards others. Attendees are expected to understand that one needs to ask before touching and that “no” means “no”. If someone says “no” or “go away”, an attendee’s business with that person is done.
Violation of this policy can result in action by the convention committee ranging from warnings to having the violator’s badge revoked with no refund, and the decision of the event chair is final. Action by the convention in no way precludes the injured individual or the hotel from pursuing whatever remedies, civil or criminal, they see fit.
After the event, OSFCI may take further action, including banning the violator from further events.
Please note that other behaviors, including but not limited to destruction of hotel property, can also result in the actions described above.
A copy of the procedures for enforcement of this code are available on the OSFCI web site at OSFCI.org.
We ask that you respect others so that everyone is comfortable and feels safe while attending GameStorm.
- Harassment of others will not be tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
- If someone asks you to leave them alone or tells you no, you walk away, and you do not approach them again. Your business with them is done. There is no reason for you to have any further interaction with them. Note that falsely reporting harassing behavior is, itself, a harassing behavior under this code of conduct.
- Discrimination of any sort is not tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
- Discrimination is not limited to gender, race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or physical/mental disability.
- If you feel that you have been harassed or discriminated against:
- Tell the individual that their behavior is inappropriate. Sometimes this is sufficient.
- If you do not feel comfortable talking with the individuals involved, or if talking to them once does not work, please immediately report the situation to any GameStorm committee or staff member. If possible provide a badge name or name and a physical description of the person or persons involved. The committee or staff member will notify Convention Operations and/or the Con Chair.
- A completed waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian is required for all children age 17 and under. The waiver form must include contact information for the parent or guardian, which will only be used in relation to care of the child.
- All children age 10 and under must be actively supervised by a responsible adult at all times. If a child age 10 or under is found unsupervised, both the child and parent or guardian may have their memberships revoked, and no refunds will be issued.
- All children age 14 and under must have a registered parent or legal guardian, or an adult designated by the parent or guardian in writing on the waiver form, at the convention at all times.
- Children aged 15-17 may attend the convention unsupervised.
GameStorm is a membership event and membership badges must be worn at all times by all members and staff. A badge is only valid for the individual to whom it was issued. Badges may not be shared. GameStorm requires that all individuals have membership badges for the convention, and that they be clearly visible when at GameStorm. For children under age 5, badges may be attached to a diaper bag or stroller and must have child’s name AND parent’s name printed on it.
Outside food and drink are not permitted within the hotel’s function space.
Outside food includes food from home, nearby restaurants, etc. Function space includes the hotel lobbies, the Dealer’s Room, and all gaming/activity spaces, including hotel suites used for gaming.
Snacks are available in the GameStorm Hospitality Rooms in Glisan and Suite 106. Please feel free to visit there between events. Personal food may be eaten there as well, or consumed in your hotel room.
The hotel does serve food at the coffee bar and restaurant, as well as some snacks at the gift shop and occasionally has food carts in the lobby. Any of these items are allowed within function space.
Please keep in mind that some Game Masters, for the protection of their personal games, may not be comfortable with food or drinks being consumed at their tables. Please ask first, and be respectful of their decision.
We ask that you follow any and all rules set by the convention hotels.
- The person in whose name the room is rented is solely responsible for the conduct of all individuals in the room and the condition of the room. Excessive trash, any act of vandalism, deliberate or excessive damage to hotel room and its contents, or any negative interference with hotel staff that may present a hazard to said hotel staff will result in the hotel taking control of the situation.
- Individuals, regardless of whose name the room is rented in, will be billed for said damages by the hotel. In addition, individuals may be evicted from the hotel and/or the convention and may also face criminal charges.
PRIVACY, PHOTOGRAPHY AND ELECTRONIC RECORDING
- GameStorm members should be aware that photographs, video and audio recordings occur during the convention, and that their likenesses may appear in these recordings. Attendees and members agree to assign without compensation the use of their likenesses for the use of promotion material.
- GameStorm welcomes members of the press to all events. All journalists, media photographers and any other members of the press are required to display a Press ribbon attached to an official GameStorm badge or be accompanied by a GameStorm staff member at all times.
- Members should be polite and ask before taking photographs or recordings of members and attendees whenever possible. Photography and audio/video recordings for personal archival use is generally acceptable, unless an individual makes it clear that they do not wish to be photographed or recorded, in which case it becomes expressly forbidden.
- The usage of photographic or recording devices is prohibited in any area of the convention where videos are being shown. Where allowed, please take photographs before or after a program event to avoid distracting panelists and audience members to the maximum extent possible.
SALES OF MERCHANDISE
The offering for sale of any merchandise may occur only in designated areas and with the permission of GameStorm.
Smoking is not permitted in any indoor public area at GameStorm. Smoking is also not permitted within 25 feet of doors, windows and vents. (That’s state law, RCW 70.160.075)
- The wearing and carrying of weapons is permitted at GameStorm ONLY with prior written permission of the GameStorm Chair. Fake weapons (e.g. boffers) may be used only in designated areas at designated times. Failure to comply is grounds for immediate expulsion from the convention.
- Any actual weapon or item that can be mistaken for a weapon that is purchased in the Dealers Room must be wrapped and immediately transported to a hotel room or vehicle.
- Any weapon (actual, realistic or toy) that is utilized in a threatening or harmful manner is a violation of the code of conduct.
Membership Refunds & Transfers
Paid memberships will not be rolled forward to a future convention. If you cannot attend (or have obtained a complimentary membership after purchase, making your paid membership redundant), you have the following options, which you would initiate by contacting registration:
1) You can request a refund (preferably before the closing date of pre-registration membership sales for the convention–any refunds requested after that time will be subject to approval of that convention’s Chair).
2) You can request a transfer of your paid membership to another person. These requests will be accepted until the day before the convention (though that would be pressing your luck…).
3) You can donate the amount paid for your membership to the convention. If you do not attend, and we don’t receive a request for transfer; or have not received a request for refund by the end of the month in which the convention is held, it will be assumed that you are using this option.
One can only have one complimentary membership to the convention at a time. If you are eligible for complimentary memberships for multiple reasons, only one will apply.
Some complimentary memberships are transferable: Complimentary dealer and press memberships are transferable to another person working for the same dealer or press entity.
The only kind of membership that will be rolled forward to a future convention is a Guest Game Master membership, and only if you are unable to attend the convention for which it is rewarded. To have it rolled forward, contact registration by the end of the month in which the convention is held (though it would be better to do so prior to the convention).